2 discussions boards1 listening journal1 study guide
Unformatted Attachment Preview
Music Listening Journal
Choose an AUDIO example (not video clip) from Unit 8: Caribbean and write a 150 word journal
about it. Please utilize the listening guides in your textbook for this assignment. Include
information about the audio example including the genre or style, instruments and form. What
culture creates this music? What behaviors or activities are associated with this music? Also
include your personal thoughts or feelings about your chosen audio example. Do you like
it/dislike it? Why did you choose this particular example?
Your Journal should be around 150 words (5 pts), cover all of the topic points (5 pts), and be
submitted on time (5 pts). There are 15 points possible for this assignment.
Use this example —–> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ynVPIod9lE8
(Garifuna: Punta Music)
Music Discussion Board
For our final Discussion Board, I would like you each to discuss which musical culture you found
most interesting during this course. Which instruments did you find most interesting and why?
Were there any particular activities you found intriguing? Do you feel like you now know more
about our diverse planet, and about how musical activities reflect the cultures that create them?
Your discussion post should be around 150 words (5 pts), cover all of the topic points (5 pts),
and be submitted on time (5 pts). You are also required to respond to at least one of your fellow
classmate’s posts (5 pts), and give constructive feedback and/or pose questions that are
relevant to the discussion topics. There are 20 points possible for this assignment.
Philosophy Discussion Board
Do you think that Clifford’s claim that it is “wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe
anything upon insufficient evidence” is true? Why or why not?
Finally, what counts as “sufficient” evidence?
Study Guide: The Caribbean
1. Rake ‘n’ scrape is a traditional music of _______________________ with instrumentation
that typically includes:
2. Define the term “Diaspora”
3. The Caribbean also shares a _______________ history. The region was born in the violence
of the middle passage, _____________, _____________________, and imposed
_________________ laws, languages, religions, and economies.
4. What does the term “religious syncretism” mean?
5. A variety of syncretic religious systems have developed in the Caribbean including
______________ in Haiti, ____________ in Cuba, _____________ in Trinidad, and
____________ in the Bahamas.
6. What were the two indigenous groups that inhabited the Caribbean prior to Colonization?
What happened to them?
7. African and European derived musical practices, instruments and aesthetics predominate
throughout the Caribbean. In many instances, these traits combine to create new instruments
and new genres of music. List as many examples as you can throughout the chapter:
8. What is kalenda, and what role did this genre play in early Carnival celebrations in Trinidad?
9. The banning of drumming in Trinidad during the late 19th century resulted in a new genre of
music called ___________________ that consists of different sized bamboo percussion
instruments that accompany vocals and utilize polyrhythm.
10. What is the typical instrumentation for Calypso music in Trinidad?
11. Why were Calypsonians considered potentially dangerous by elites and government
12. The ____________________, which replaced the tamboo bamboo ensembles in Trinidad in
the 1940s, is composed of idiophones made from oil drums that have been tuned to play a
range of pitches.
What is the engine room?
How do these ensembles mirror Western orchestral roles? How do they differ?
13. ______________ developed as a secular alternative to sacred African-derived drumming
traditions in Cuba and consists of two main sections: ________________ ( narrative text) and
_________________ (call and response with the chorus and percussion).
14. How has rumba music been popularized and disseminated throughout the Caribbean and
North America. How has the genre been altered for “exportation” to Western nations?
15. Describe the unique origins of the Garifuna people
Purchase answer to see full