1) List to this audio, Hinustani Alap: Tambura and Bansuri write a 150 word journal about it. Please utilize the listening guides in your textbook for this assignment. Include information about the audio example including the genre or style, instruments and form. What culture creates this music? What behaviors or activities are associated with this music? Also include your personal thoughts or feelings about your chosen audio example. Do you like it/dislike it? Why did you choose this particular example?2) complete the study guide in the attachments.
Unformatted Attachment Preview
Study Guide: India
1. Kolkata is the city previously known as ____________________, and is located on the [east or west]
side of India.
2. A major style of North Indian dance is called ______________, and is generally either abstract, called
_______________, or a pantomime of a story, called ____________________________.
3. Indian dancers and drummers speak to each other using a special set of syllables called __________.
4. Sangita, which generally translates as “music” more accurately means the embodiment of:
5. Vilambit lay means _________________________, while drut lay means______________________.
6. __________________ is the major vocal style of Hindustani music, generally starting off very slowly
and ending up very fast, lasting up to ___________________ minutes.
7. Alap is a raga improvisation in ________________ rhythm. It generally starts off in a ____________
range and slowly works higher, setting each pitch in its particular ____________________ to the others.
8. ___________________ is the section of Hindustani instrumental performance that follow alap and
introduces a pulse. The concluding section of improvisation is called ____________________, when the
performer makes lively and fast rhythmic patterns on the drone strings of an instrument.
9. After the first three sections of a Hindustani instrumental performance comes the
__________________, accompanied by the ________________, in which a short melody is alternated
with improvisational passages.
10. Much of Indian classical music focuses on solo performance accompanied by a ______________ and
the support of a ___________________.
11. What is tihai?
12. The Vedas were the sacred texts of which people?
13. How many varnas are there in Hindu society?
14. What was the purpose of the long and intensive education of the Brahmins?
15. An early treatise on the performing arts, the ________________________, was written sometime
before the fifth century C.E.
16. Music from North India is referred to as ___________________________, while music of South India
is called _____________________________.
17. Divergence in musical culture can be attributed to the political/cultural influence of what group of
18. Who was Tansen?
19. Who was Tyagaraja?
20. What is a devadasi?
21. The classical style of Carnatic dance is called________________________.
22. The major song type of Carnatic music is called ___________________, and is divided into three
1) __________________________, 2) ________________________ and 3)______________________.
23. An improvisation performed before the kriti that demonstrates the musician’s abilities to interpret
the ragam of the kriti is called _____________________ or __________________________.
24. The vocalist in Carnatic music is generally accompanied by a _______________ who tries to imitate
the vocal melody.
25. Describe the two different types of improvisation in Carnatic singing:
26. The four main chordophones used in Indian music are:
1) ___________________2) ___________________ 3) ___________________ 4) __________________
27. Who is Lata Mangeshkar, and what is her importance in India’s film industry?
28. Listen to the Ghazal audio track. What instruments/sound sources can you hear?
29. Bhangra is a type of _____________________ pop music combining aspects of hip-hop, trance, and
remix techniques with a folk music and dance style from the state of ___________________.
Purchase answer to see full